Extract Revisited, 20 Years Later

Jan 6, 06:37 PM

I got to thinking, after an old friend told me that he was going to get into brewing, as quick as I go through my English Bitter on the Beer Engine, perhaps I ought to try brewing this one from extract. I really like my all grain Real Ale, but for something that lasts about three weeks on tap, perhaps I can try to shave some time and money off the recipe. Tonight I brewed my Real Ale using 8 pounds of extract from Williams Brewing. No other grains, as I am trying to trim this recipe down into something a little more efficient. Steeping grains would add time and effort to the process. Basically, the recipe is the same water treatment I always do for British styles, the extract, a 40 minute hop addition and a 20 minute hop addition. Irish moss and yeast nutrient (Damn! Forgot the Irish moss and nutrient again – starting to become a trend) at the same time I placed the wort chiller. In retrospect, I would use the same yeast I always use, which is White Labs 002 (same as Wyeast 1968). For some reason that escapes me now, when I ordered my yeast, I ordered Wyeast 1098 (on purpose, I just forget the reason). If the ale is still a high quality brew, I wont worry about it. If it is way different, I’ll try one more time with White Labs 002.


Beer, Brewing Notes



  1. Well, so far I’m a little disappointed. The first go ‘round on this one and the attenuation is way low – really, really low. For two days (and a full 8 days in the fermenter), there has been no activity in the airlock and the gravity reading has reached it’s final – and it is still at 1.024!!! Way too high. A little research on the usual brew boards, and this seems to be what extract brewers get. Of course, some are better than others, but if the second batch does not do better, it will be back to all grain. Don’t forget, I changed yeast – not only the brand, but the brewery as well. This yeast was Whitbread (Wyeast 1098). Usually I use Fullers (White Labs 002). Whitbread, from the research I’ve done, should actually ferment drier than the Fuller’s I normally use.

    Les · Friday January 14, 2011 · #

  2. Nope – won’t be doing the extract again. Both batches and the attenuation was terrible. The final gravity was up around 1.022, way too high for this yeast. If one batch finished in a more normal range, I would chalk it up to the brewer. Both batches though… Not knocking the supply store or the ingredients, but the extract was the Williams Brewing Pale Ale liquid extract.

    Les · Tuesday February 8, 2011 · #